Photo

Hotpoint Ultima Wt960p Offer - Is It Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 suffolkpaul

suffolkpaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Our Local Electrical dept store (Bennetts Ipswich) is currently offering a Hotpoint WT960P for 298 inc a 5year parts warranty.

We cant stretch to a Miele despite our best intentions.

We have never owned a hotpoint and dont really know if they are any good, only that its an established brand.

Its a triple A efficient washer with 7kg capacity.

any thoughts on this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts | Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#2 beverly

beverly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Our Local Electrical dept store (Bennetts Ipswich) is currently offering a Hotpoint WT960P for 298 inc a 5year parts warranty.

We cant stretch to a Miele despite our best intentions.

We have never owned a hotpoint and dont really know if they are any good, only that its an established brand.

Its a triple A efficient washer with 7kg capacity.

any thoughts on this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Last week I was house sitting for my neighbour while she has her new washing machine delivered and installed and the guy who was doing the fitting said he wouldn't touch any Hotpoint with a barge pole.I've had a hotpiont and i agree!!!

#3 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

Hotpoint should be making extremely reliable washing machines by now. Like many other household names in the UK, they've been making washing machines for decades. Unfortunately they seem to concentrate more on style and features, and on driving down production costs at the expense of reparability and longevity. I don't rate them personally. Bosch and Zanussi are better and similar in price, although they too have driven down costs at the expense of reparability to some extent.

#4 suffolkpaul

suffolkpaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hotpoint should be making extremely reliable washing machines by now. Like many other household names in the UK, they've been making washing machines for decades. Unfortunately they seem to concentrate more on style and features, and on driving down production costs at the expense of reparability and longevity. I don't rate them personally. Bosch and Zanussi are better and similar in price, although they too have driven down costs at the expense of reparability to some extent.

thanks both,

a friend has just bought a anew bosch washeing machine and will be giving us their 3 year old indesit for free to help us out for a while so there is now not so much of a rush to get the first good one we see.

#5 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

Just a note to say that Indesit are virtually the same as Hotpoint now. Both owned by the same company and very, very similar.

#6 Poostix

Poostix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

I'm sorry Indesit and hotpoint are not the same, some models are built on UK sites using UK parts then sent to the continent, These should be OK for 3-5 years with no real issues, depending on where in the country you are based. Hard water areas will start to see problems before soft water areas.

Hotpoint and Indesit brands made on the continent and shipped to the UK share about 30% of the parts, mostly the aesthetics and so the reliability will be slightly different. I can only comment on the machines I help produce, but the 960 should be a V.good machine for less than 300. Again Bosch do compare well in some areas and exceed in others.

Just to get this right. I have only worked here for a very short time but have had hotpoint washing machines in the house since before I was born and never had a problem with one breaking down. I did live in the north west which is a very soft water area so the machines got a decent life.

#7 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I'm sorry Indesit and hotpoint are not the same, some models are built on UK sites using UK parts then sent to the continent, These should be OK for 3-5 years with no real issues, depending on where in the country you are based. Hard water areas will start to see problems before soft water areas.

Hotpoint and Indesit brands made on the continent and shipped to the UK share about 30% of the parts, mostly the aesthetics and so the reliability will be slightly different. I can only comment on the machines I help produce, but the 960 should be a V.good machine for less than 300. Again Bosch do compare well in some areas and exceed in others.

Just to get this right. I have only worked here for a very short time but have had hotpoint washing machines in the house since before I was born and never had a problem with one breaking down. I did live in the north west which is a very soft water area so the machines got a decent life.

Hotpoint and Indesit share (as you say) 30% of parts, but they are virtually the same build quality aren't they? The extra cost for Hotpoint's versions is mostly for better features and programming as far as I'm aware. There's not much difference in reliabilty between the two (according to Which?).

#8 Poostix

Poostix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

Hotpoint and Indesit share (as you say) 30% of parts, but they are virtually the same build quality aren't they? The extra cost for Hotpoint's versions is mostly for better features and programming as far as I'm aware. There's not much difference in reliabilty between the two (according to Which?).

There is quite a bit of difference in the longevity (sp) Hotpoint have slightly better specification parts in them and are designed with hard water in mind. Continental machines don't seem to stand up as well in the south east as they do in the north west, but the HP machines seem pretty even all over.

We have completed testing on competitors products to our standards and not seen a massive difference between all machines under 500.

#9 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

There is quite a bit of difference in the longevity (sp) Hotpoint have slightly better specification parts in them and are designed with hard water in mind.

Longevity is more related to the price of spares and replacement costs than quality of parts. You can compare two washing machines, one may be theoretically a little better built, but both equally vulnerable to being beyond economical repair way too soon because repairs are too expensive and replacement too cheap.

Hardwater shouldn't really be an issue if people use the correct amount of detergent because the detergents contain enough water softening agents to protect all washing machines.

#10 Poostix

Poostix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hardwater shouldn't really be an issue if people use the correct amount of detergent because the detergents contain enough water softening agents to protect all washing machines.

I don't know how much it costs for replacement parts for our machines but the main cost would be anything electronic.

All I know from our last quality report is that in the hard water areas there were around 10% more calls than in soft water areas. Again this may be because of the people in the areas being more likely to complain or the fact that there are more people in these areas, but I was told that the hard water has an effect on the heaters in the continental machines because of the coatings on the heaters, we have a double coating to reduce calcium where as the lower spec machines have a single coating and rely on you to do all the softening.

On the not serviceable parts (welded drum) this was a request from our service department because it cost roughly the same to change a full drum assembly as it did to change the inner bearing but was much less time consuming.

#11 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

All I know from our last quality report is that in the hard water areas there were around 10% more calls than in soft water areas. Again this may be because of the people in the areas being more likely to complain or the fact that there are more people in these areas, but I was told that the hard water has an effect on the heaters in the continental machines because of the coatings on the heaters, we have a double coating to reduce calcium where as the lower spec machines have a single coating and rely on you to do all the softening.

All washing machines sold in the UK should be fit for UK conditions. I suspect the difference is because there's a significant percentage of users who simply don't use enough detergent. There's an urban myth that many people buy into, which says that detergent manufacturers deliberately advise customers to use more detergent than necessary to increase profits. Personally I don't believe it, but millions do. They want to because believing it can cut your detergent costs in half. :)

In my experience many people believe you can use up to half the quantities suggested on the pack. As it happens, you can in fact cut down the quantity without necessarily suffering drastic drops in wash results. The consequences however can be a big reduction in protection against limescale.

If this is the case, and let's say X percent of customers routinely don't use the correct dose of detergent then you would expect very little consequences in soft water areas but an increase in related breakdowns in hard water areas, which could explain your stats.

On the not serviceable parts (welded drum) this was a request from our service department because it cost roughly the same to change a full drum assembly as it did to change the inner bearing but was much less time consuming.

I used to hate changing drum bearings on Hotpoint washing machines and did find it very time consuming. I can see the logic in fitting complete assemblies where the extra cost in parts is cancelled out by the savings in labour. This may have been a viable option to Hotpoint because of the savings in time and wages and the very cheap cost of parts available to them as manufacturers. The problem is the equation doesn't work for their customers who either want to do a diy repair or pay one of the thousands of independent repairers to fix it. The result is most washing machines over 5 years old with a sealed tub will be scrapped if the bearings, spider, drum or tub fail and even in some cases where an obstruction gets inside.

If drum bearing failure is extremely rare it's not so much of a problem as long as people know the potential severe consequences of leaving obstructions in pockets. Time will tell how reliable the drum bearings and seal are on washing machines with sealed tubs. It's too early to say yet.

#12 Nicko1980

Nicko1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

All washing machines sold in the UK should be fit for UK conditions. I suspect the difference is because there's a significant percentage of users who simply don't use enough detergent. There's an urban myth that many people buy into, which says that detergent manufacturers deliberately advise customers to use more detergent than necessary to increase profits. Personally I don't believe it, but millions do. They want to because believing it can cut your detergent costs in half. :)

In my experience many people believe you can use up to half the quantities suggested on the pack. As it happens, you can in fact cut down the quantity without necessarily suffering drastic drops in wash results. The consequences however can be a big reduction in protection against limescale.

If this is the case, and let's say X percent of customers routinely don't use the correct dose of detergent then you would expect very little consequences in soft water areas but an increase in related breakdowns in hard water areas, which could explain your stats.
I used to hate changing drum bearings on Hotpoint washing machines and did find it very time consuming. I can see the logic in fitting complete assemblies where the extra cost in parts is cancelled out by the savings in labour. This may have been a viable option to Hotpoint because of the savings in time and wages and the very cheap cost of parts available to them as manufacturers. The problem is the equation doesn't work for their customers who either want to do a diy repair or pay one of the thousands of independent repairers to fix it. The result is most washing machines over 5 years old with a sealed tub will be scrapped if the bearings, spider, drum or tub fail and even in some cases where an obstruction gets inside.

If drum bearing failure is extremely rare it's not so much of a problem as long as people know the potential severe consequences of leaving obstructions in pockets. Time will tell how reliable the drum bearings and seal are on washing machines with sealed tubs. It's too early to say yet.

I have an Ariston A1636. Ariston are made by the same company as Hotpoint and Indesit. Would you say that ariston are closer to Indesit or Hotpoint in terms of build quality?

#13 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

I have an Ariston A1636. Ariston are made by the same company as Hotpoint and Indesit. Would you say that ariston are closer to Indesit or Hotpoint in terms of build quality?

To me they are very similar to Indesit. The Merloni company owns so many brands it's a shame they are all so similar (Hotpoint, Creda, Ariston, Indesit etc). I'm sure they think there's lots of differences, the main one being the Hotpoint brand is the fanciest and highest spec but as far as build quality is concerned I don't see any significant differences.

#14 Johnsleo

Johnsleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Conversation with other members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Nice to meet all of you.

#15 urgentappliance

urgentappliance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well, my experience with Hotpoint is good. Hotpoint washing machines is fit for less energy and water use. The annual running cost in our washing machine is quite low. It is a resonable product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users