9 replies to this topic

#1 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

All modern washing machines take much longer to wash than they used to. I've written an explanation of why on my main site here - Why does washing machine take so long to wash?

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#2 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

I have an AEG 76669 Update. The Cotton 40c wash on my machine takes 129 minutes for a full load, but this is shortened or lenghened accordingly for smaller loads or over-sudsing ect (fuzzy logic). I do have the option to select a Quickwash, which then shortens the time to 65 minutes. The machine will spend 30 of those minutes washing, 25 minutes rinsing (3 rinses), and the last 5 minutes as a final spin, instead of the usual 12 minutes. There is no Quickwash program on my machine, the shortens program is the Wool cycle which lasts 38 minutes.

#3 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

I still get a lot of people emailing me about wash times. Most of them blame their particular brand of washing machine because they are comparing it with their old one without realising that all modern washing machines take much longer to wash now.

#4 Nicko1980

Nicko1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

I still get a lot of people emailing me about wash times. Most of them blame their particular brand of washing machine because they are comparing it with their old one without realising that all modern washing machines take much longer to wash now.

This thread needs your help. If you can at least find your instruction books and post the estimated or quoted wash times for your make and model on a 40 degree wash it will really be helpful. Maybe some washing machines do wash a lot quicker. Quoted wash times for other washes may be interesting too.

The wash time for 40 degrees on my ariston a1636 is 95 minutes (75 minutes using the rapid button) and a 60 degree wash takes 150 minutes (120 minutes when the rapid button is pressed).

#5 peter

peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

The wash time for 40 degrees on my ariston a1636 is 95 minutes (75 minutes using the rapid button) and a 60 degree wash takes 150 minutes (120 minutes when the rapid button is pressed).

Our Miele 3240 gives following times all for 40 deg wash

Auto 1hr 13min
Denim 1hr 13min
Express 32min
Minimum iron 1hr 19min
Cotton 1hr 55min

these were obtained just by selecting on the dial without altering any available options

#6 celtictaj

celtictaj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

Washing machine wash times arenít easily found so it would be nice to compile our own list. Please post how long your washing machine takes to wash, and what make (model) it is. The 40 degree cotton wash is the most commonly used and therefore most relevant wash time to quote.

My 10 -11 year old Miele w980 takes several different times for a 40 cotton wash

30 mins on the quickwash setting

1.57 mins on a full
1.10 mins with the short button selected
and 55 mins when started off at the 1.57 and the novatronic wow gizmo sensors decide that the wash isnt dirt of full enough to warrent the full 1.57. (if it has flipped over to 55 mins but I want it to do the whole 1.57 I just repressthe on/off button)

All of the above on 1600 rpmdefault unless changed

#7 jojo1474

jojo1474

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

my hotpoint wm52 takes

1hr 30 mins on cottons 40
1 hr 15 mins on a acrylics 40
55 mins on a woolens 40

#8 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

Our Miele W 3740 takes 1 hour 58 mins to do a normal cottons 40 degree wash but the results are worth the wait. There's an optional quick button which takes the wash time down to about 1 hour 25 mins. Quicker would be nice but at what cost? Don't forget that if washing machines wash too quickly they can't wash as thoroughly. Plus they can suffer from a build up of gunge and slime which can shorten their lives and cause bad smells. At the end of the day we can't have it both ways. People want less water usage and less energy usage. Old washing machines washed quicker but they guzzled water and energy. Modern washing machines take a lot longer to wash, but with less energy and less water.

#9 penny

penny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hotpoint First Editon (WMA10) wash times -

115 mins for a cotton 40 degree wash
50 mins for acrylic 40 degree wash
45 mins for 35 degree wash (quickwash)
15 mins for a spin
30 mins for a rinse and spin

#10 electron 1100

electron 1100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hello i have two machines:

A Bosch Exxcel 1400 Express

40 degree Coloureds (stains extra programme with "Aqua plus") 1hour 47 minutes (i need the longer wash to get my work clothes clean)

and a

Hoover A3308 1100 early 1980s model

40 degree coloureds wash about 1 hour (cold fill only), uses more water but gets clothes clean without any problems, overall i prefer this machine.

peronally i think it is the water and energy companies that ultimately benefit from consumers using less, this way they dont have to invest so much in new equipment to meet demand and can then keep their profits up at the high levels they are at.

Also this new green religion i have my doubts about

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users