11 replies to this topic

#1 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Zanussi now make a slimline depth washing machine. The height and width are 60 cm but the depth is only 54 cm. Amazingly it has a 7Kg drum.

Zanussi slimdepth 7Kg washing machine

Full details on my Blog article - I need a small washing machine (This article has been updated and moved to Washing machines and associated problems with sizes)

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts | Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#2 canoewidow

canoewidow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

Have you any advice on the best machine to carry up an awkward flight of stairs to a first floor flat. I have looked at the compact washing machines on your links but they dont' give any weight. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

#3 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:36 AM

It's unusual to be choosing a washing machine on weight, but the Zanussi compact washing machine has a, "Net weight" of 54Kg".

One of Zanussi's normal sized washing machines with a 7Kg drum is 77Kg and another with a smaller 6Kg drum is quoted as 68.5 Kg

I would be careful of letting the problem of getting a washing machine upstairs force you to buy a small washing machine that could be inadequate for your needs. It's OK if you will have only small washing reuirements (it has a 3Kg wash load capacity instead of 5, 6, 7Kg or higher with a normal sized washing machine). If a normal sized washing machine physically would fit (once its up there), it may be better to pay someone to get it up there. But if not, the Zanussi compact should be as decent a small washing machine as you can get.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Many thanks - we just had a nightmare job of getting a Candy 1000 down the stairs, so as its only a 2 bedrooom flat and we are buying it for the tenants, the Zanussi sounds adequate for their needs. I much appreciate your quick response and think your site is really good. Cheers

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

If anyone is interested there is a Thompson twin tub, it weighs 30 kg and is not too heavy but may be a little difficult for a woman. It can wash up to 7KG but you do have to provide the hot water as there is no heater, but does have a drain pump. Have a look at this link on ebay there are quite few for sale. Also i dont know why nobody has imported the Haier twin tub machines

It has loads of popular reviews and there are bigger versions too and other brands, great for people in flats so why it has not occurred to anyone to stock them i dont know, perhaps the market for them is not that big. Would have thought there is a gap in the UK market for lighter more convenient washing machines for apartment dwellers.

Hope this helps.
Best regards

#6 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

I looked into the Thompson twin tub, but I was advised by a few engineers that it wasn't very good. It's only made of plastic, and some of the engineers said they stopped selling them as they found them unreliable. It may be suitable for very light use. If anyone has any experience of the Thompson twin tub it would be useful to hear about it.

The Haier single tub washing machine looks good. Unfortunately I don't think there's enough demand for such things in the UK, which is why Hoover, Hotpoint and Servis have all long since stopped making twin tubs. There's definitely a demand, but it's too small, and an ever diminishing demand. Not enough to be worth any company importing, or manufacturing in the UK. Any such operation would be doomed to failure because each year the demand is guaranteed to decrease as the generation that wants them decreases.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

The Haier single tub washing machine looks good. Unfortunately I don't think there's enough demand for such things in the UK, which is why Hoover, Hotpoint and Servis have all long since stopped making twin tubs. There's definitely a demand, but it's too small, and an ever diminishing demand. Not enough to be worth any company importing, or manufacturing in the UK. Any such operation would be doomed to failure because each year the demand is guaranteed to decrease as the generation that wants them decreases.

Hi Washerhelp,

intesting points but are you sure the demand for something like the Haier will diminish. I was looking it at it like this:

there seems to be an ever increasing number of people that live in rented accomodation (flats or houses) and it is harder for people to get onto the property ladder. Because of this particulalry if people live in awkward to get to accomodation up flights of stairs or move fairly regulary I would have thought people would have welcomed the opprtunity to purchase something like the Haier (although only 2.5KG load capacity there are other verson that can manage 4.5KG no larger than a fridge and half the weight of a front loader from Argos, an average chap could lift one himself). I was basically wondering if it would suit the way many people have to manage in todays modern world. If I had the storage facilites I would chance buying a batch in myself just to see how well they might sell especially once word gets around that there is now a fully automatic lightweight machine available, my only main concern would be the reliabiity of them. Im unemployed anyway and maybe could earn some money come off social, could be worth a try for me :unsure: Haier make a 240V version for New Zealand/Australia i think so maybe shouldnt be too much of a problem purchasing for the UK

PS Forgot to mention the Thompson is a little too tall to go under the average kitchen worktop by about 3cm which is a bit frustrating, so would have to free stand somewhere. I have also seen a toploader machine from Whirlpool and Hotpoint that is a slim machine with the drum fitted sideways but it still very heavy and expensive at £300+ and could again be too to slide under a worktop.

If its 85cm to the top butttons it should go under a worktop. But its very heavy.

Best Regards

#8 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

I agree there must be many people who want or need a small washing machine or single tub washing machine. Don’t forget though that anyone buying a single tub washing machine like the Haier would also need a small spinner to spin dry the laundry, which would double the space required.

Unfortunately, these days it's common for there to be a demand for something (by tens of thousands of people) but big manufacturers can't make money selling those relatively small quantities. Washing machine manufacturers tend now to be global operators and only interested in massive sales quantities. The fact that everyone has ditched them implies (to me) that they can’t make money from them in the UK any more. Demand in the USA must be stronger simply due to the enormous size of the market, although they may meet the same fate in the end.

Someone importing an American single tub washing machine of decent quality like the Haier could potentially sell them, but they would need to ensure they can be repaired and that spares could be obtained.

I repaired twin tub washing machines and single tub washing machines for about 30 years, and in that time the overwhelming majority of people using these products were pensioners or people over 50. It was extremely rare to see anyone between 30 and 40 using one and almost unheard of to see someone under 30 with one. The whole concept of dragging a washing machine out, connecting it up and manually loading washing from one tub to a spinner, plus having to be present most of the time, is an anathema to young people, which is why their customers are an ever decreasing breed.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

no problem thanks for changing the link.

BTW the Haier top loader and similar brands do spin so may be more acceptable to younger people. Although going by some reviews it can go out of balance and cut off and you have to be there to re-balance the load. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon aswell as other sites and they seem very popular, but you do have to start with warm water though as it doesn't have a heater. Apart from that i think its described a fully automatic.

Best regards

#10 Guest_Cari Morton_*

Guest_Cari Morton_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

I'm looking for a small (preferably table top) top loading compact washing machine. One with a heating element and is economical with water would be preferable. Do they come with spin cycles? My tricky request is I want to be able to stop the washing cycle to check the progress and be able to restart it. This is the most important element. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

#11 Candy

Candy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm looking for a small (preferably table top) top loading compact washing machine. One with a heating element and is economical with water would be preferable. Do they come with spin cycles? My tricky request is I want to be able to stop the washing cycle to check the progress and be able to restart it. This is the most important element. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Candy Aquamatic 8 is an excellent machine but costly about 380 all told.
Had bad experience ordering from shop they delivered dented machine the rest is a long story.I had paid cash. Help.

#12 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Candy Aquamatic 8 is an excellent machine but costly about 380 all told.
Had bad experience ordering from shop they delivered dented machine the rest is a long story.I had paid cash. Help.

Hello Candy. The small washing machines are always disproportionately expensive as there's only a small demand (excuse the pun ;) )
What kind of help are you looking for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users