Investigating the best washing machines to buy - a repairman's point of view
My reviews are free, and aren't trying to sell you the washing machine reviewed.
Full list of my washing machine and washer dryer reviews -
Expert reviews from Which?
Although my reviews are uniquely comprehensive and very detailed, they are limited in number and may not feature all the very latest models. Which? have the resources to review many of the latest appliances and a specially set up test laboratory. They also have a huge database of savvy members to gain reliability feedback from.
You can obtain a 1 month trial which you may find useful as they review and advise on all products, not just washing machines. Why take out a Which? 1 month trial?) (full explanation of offer)
Save money by comparing washing machine prices. You can either use the links in the centre column of this page to check out many of the most popular retailers or use the links below to compare prices.
Alternatively you can try comparing prices at several Washerhelp affiliates using this search page and database - Compare Washing Machine Prices
John Lewis are a great place to buy an appliance from. They give at least 2 years guarantee on all washing machines and other appliances - with even 3 years on their own brand (plus 5 year guarantees on TV's).
Free standard delivery on all orders over £50
They've also been voted top of the customer satisfaction polls by Which? consumer association. John Lewis - the best? (external link to my Blog)
Buy washing machines & other appliances
Special offers, discount codes and money off vouchers for washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, fridges, fridge freezers and cookers. Buy washing machines & other appliances
Buying a new washing machine?
There's more to finding the right washing machine than just deciding which make to go for.
This section covers less obvious issues which can be just as useful to research that come under the related heading.
Topics covered in related buying advice
- Are all new washing machines the same size?
- Do all new washing machines use the same pipes and plumbing?
- Should I buy an extended warranty / guarantee?
- Should I buy a cold fill washing machine or hot and cold fill?
- How to install a washing machine
Related buying advice on my Whitegoodshelp Blog
These links go to my White goods Blog. There are some topics related to buying a washing machine
White goods Blog links:
- Which is best, a top loader or a front loader?
- I need a small washing machine
- Watch out for bulky designs preventing doors and drawers in kitchen opening
- How much space does a washing machine need round the sides?
- Low water pressure and washing machines (Modern washing machines may not work with very low water pressure)
- What's happened to the hot water valve in modern washing machines?
- Reducing the height of a washing machine to fit under a worktop
- Keep white goods white?
Research buying a new washing machine
They certainly aren't cheap to repair, and some of the cheapest to buy can be amongst the most expensive to repair which shortens their life even further.
However, not all are poor quality. If you want to be more informed about the build quality of modern washing machines these topics may be of interest -
Build quality related advice
- Are new washing machines made as well as they used to be?
- Are new washing machines only built to last 5 years?
- Do washing machines have built-in obsolescence?
- Which are the most reliable and the least reliable makes?
- Which is the best washing machine to buy?
- If I buy a more expensive one, do I get a better washing machine?
- Pros and cons: Quality verses cheap
Opinions are based on my personal 30 years experience of repairing and selling washing machines, which may help you decide on which new washing machine to buy.
Finding the right washing machine is very important and getting it wrong can be costly. This site is designed to give as much help and advice as possible.
Many washing machines are made by the same companies but with different brand names. Often they are of similar quality so if you are unhappy with one you could end up buying just another of the same companies products and ending up with the same problems and the same after sales service. ( Who really makes your washing machine? )
Related buying topics -
- What do the new energy labels mean?
- Buying washing machines online
- Washer-dryer, or separate washing machine and dryer - which is the best?
- Should I buy a reconditioned washing machine?
- Would renting make more sense?
All information is meant to be fair and balanced and is my own personal opinion based on 30 years experience. All advice is given in good faith and without liability, and is meant as a general guideline only.